Skip Navigation

History: Timeline

CRANDIC Photo Montage

From the early days of "Interurban" travel between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, CRANDIC has been providing service to eastern Iowans along our route.

Today, it's not people, but cargo that travels our lines. By serving many of eastern Iowa's largest manufacturers, we are still serving communities by delivering needed supplies to businesses and doing our part to keep our state and local economy strong.

Milestones in CRANDIC history:

CRANDIC 1904 Rule Book
  • Summer 1903
    Construction begins on the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway - first known as the "Interurban."
  • August, 13, 1904
    Freight and passenger service begin between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.
  • 1907
    CRANDIC begins hauling carload freight.
  • 1913
    Eastbound line to Mount Vernon complete.
  • 1914
    Line complete to Lisbon.
  • 1920s
    North Liberty children ride the CRANDIC to school in Iowa City.
  • July 24, 1928
    Last car travels on the Mount Vernon/Lisbon line.
  • 1929
    CRANDIC Stages, an intercity bus company, begins operations.
  • 1933
    CRANDIC Stages sold to Nevin Bus Line.
  • 1939
    CRANDIC purchases six high-speed cars from the defunct Cincinnati & Lake Erie Railroad.
  • 1945
    CRANDIC ridership rises steadily, carrying a record 573,707 passengers.
  • 1953
    Passenger service is discontinued.
  • 1953
    Diesel locomotive purchased for all-freight service.
  • 1961
    CRANDIC customers include heavy equipment manufacturers Link-Belt Speeder and Harnischfeger.
  • 1968
    CRANDIC begins service at Corn Sweeteners, now Archer Daniels Midland.
  • Early 1970s
    CRANDIC's signature colors are updated to bright yellow and deep red.
  • 1980
    CRANDIC acquires Milwaukee line through Amana and Rock Island line from Iowa City to Hills.
  • 1984
    CRANDIC invests in rail line from Council Bluffs to Chicago, now known as Iowa Interstate Railroad.
  • 1990s
    CRANDIC is instrumental in bringing four new industrial customers to the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City corridor.
  • 1996
    CRANDIC Shops relocates to 3150 12th Street S.W.
  • 2001
    Amana line becomes CRANDIC's main route.
  • 2004
    CRANDIC celebrates 100 years of excellence.
  • 2005
    Railway Age Magazine names CRANDIC short line railroad of the year.
    State-of-the-art maintenance facility built at the original Rockford Road location.
  • 2008
    CRANDIC rebuilds after historic flooding in June causes major damage and destroys the Cedar River bridge.
  • 2011
    CRANDIC named Argus Media's Win-Win Award recipient along with business partner, Archer Daniels Midland.
CRANDIC Conductor's Hat
CRANDIC Employee's Pass 1910
CRANDIC Engineer's Hat
CRANDIC Lantern
CRANDIC Timetable 1938
CRANDIC Train Key
Ticket from CRANDIC's Last Passenger Run - May 30, 1953
CRANDIC Modern Rule Book

To learn more about CRANDIC history, be sure to the order the commemorative centennial DVD through our online store.